Sunday, October 28, 2007

procrastination really is the thief of time

I can’t believe how long it has been since my last post. Where does the time go? Today I realized I had a dozen posts started and none completed. It has been weeks since my last post.

The reasons are many and varied, but the basic truth is that I have been so busy enjoying the day to day events of living life with my Frank that I have not taken the time to complete very many of the projects that I somehow seem to start.

Today, I am forcing myself to buckle down and clear my deck of some of my unfinished work, so, do not be surprised if several posts show up here all at once.

I’m also very overdue posting updates of the events in the lives of Rita and Frank, so here goes. Besides getting all of our medical insurance details worked out and hunting down new doctors we can trust, who take Frank’s military insurance, we have been spending a fair percentage of our time house hunting.

Since Frank is new to this part of the country, I wanted him to have a real sense of what is here, before committing to a specific town or house. Therefore, we have been exploring all the little towns, hamlets and villages in this county while touring almost every home in our price range. I’ve lost count of the houses we looked at but I doubt there are many we missed. We toured everything from an 1880’s converted school house to civil war era houses made of bricks so soft the foundations are crumbing into the cellars. We have been in everything from 600 square feet to over 2000 sq. ft.; homes that still have coal chutes or oil tanks sitting beside modern electronics in their basements. Apparently home owners in this area have never heard of the importance of staging their houses to sell. We have seen everything from perfect to gross. I can overlook having a few breakfast dishes in the sink but toilets that have not been cleaned in years do not get any interest. We have seen houses sitting a few feet from the street and others with yards it would seemingly take days to mow. Houses with great views and ones that faced a factory or some ugly shed. We have toured everything from fixer-uppers to pristine showplaces and even a few that could only be improved by a wrecking ball.

Ultimately, we did find the perfect home for us. We let our first choice go when the building inspection noted a fatal flaw. Then just as we were about to commit to our second choice, we got a call from the agent who showed us the first house we looked at months ago. He said a home just listed the day before might be of interest to us. It turned out to be the one we were looking for. Of course, we had to look at dozens of other homes in order for the image of what we really wanted to form. We are now scheduled to close on November15th.

While house hunting, we still managed to squeeze in a few weekend trips and purchase a new mid-sized SUV. Good thing too, because, now we have tons of things to haul. We have been shopping for everything from appliances to plumbing fixtures during the day and working late into the night to get our condo ready to put on the market and making a dent in the needed packing.

We also discovered that while we do have many differences in our home taste we can compromise when needed. Somehow we are managing to combine my love of country chic with Frank’s love of modern minimalist. We should have a very interesting home to say the least.

So stay tuned to find out if the move goes swimmingly.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by my site. Without your visits there would be no incentive to continue posting. So, having you here and reading your comments is the highlight of my day.

I regret that time does not always allow me to return visits to everyone who stops by, but, I will certainly do my best to get to everyone. I will definitely answer any questions you leave me.

Thanks for stopping by and have a great day.