Thursday, July 23, 2009

Window views 14 -- stained glass


Thursday is the day that we get to peek through other peoples windows. But, politely of course. This week I have a very special window for you. It is one that comes very close to my family.

The Old Salt's Mother was a very creative artist. Among other things she studied painting with her uncle the world renowned dust bowl regionalist Alexandre Hogue. But her passion was for making stained glass windows, and she has many installed in churches all over the country.

The state of Arkansas named my MIL as the recipient of their first "Living Treasures Award" in 2002.

Besides designing and crafting beautiful stained glass windows Bea also taught the craft to others and one of her best students Tess Cowie (who also became her best friend and assistant) has carried on the work of making beautiful stained glass windows.

Following is a picture of Tess with the first window she made. It was meant to be a gift for her husband. Regrettably, he only lived long enough to see the middle of it completed. Tess finished her husbands window and has moved it with her several times over the ensuing years.







To join the fun or peek through everyone else's window panes visit our host Mary t at
Window Views.

9 comments:

  1. Ferocious griffin,
    fortunately you are just
    part of a window!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rita, wonderful! reminded me of an artist in a book I once read (who was trying to piece back to-gether an old stained glass window ). And pretty sun catchers :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The things you learn about someone just by reading their blog;)

    Nice work!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a wonderful talent to have...stained glass is a beautiful art form.

    ReplyDelete
  5. beautiful window and story. thanks. Please stop by and see the view from my window

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh how beautiful and creative a stained glass window. I know how hard it is to work on stained glass! Lovely! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I enjoyed this post and the one previous too. Those old Army boots are neat.
    Pick a Peck of Pixels

    ReplyDelete
  8. How talented Old Salt's mother is! Lovely windows ;--)
    Hugs and blessings,

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello and happy Pink Saturday. Even though I am not officially participating, I am! I came across your blog in my journey and thought I'd say "HELLO" in there. Tthe name of your blog is so intriguing, and I love the stained glass, fabulous stuff.

    Today is the last day of my night light GIVE AWAY - do stop by and enter if you can.

    Have a wonderful weekend ☺

    Jennifer
    MaidenShade.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by my site. Without your visits there would be no incentive to continue posting. So, having you here and reading your comments is the highlight of my day.

I regret that time does not always allow me to return visits to everyone who stops by, but, I will certainly do my best to get to everyone. I will definitely answer any questions you leave me.

Thanks for stopping by and have a great day.