Monday, October 26, 2009

Ruby Tuesday --- Code Takers and Navy Week.

Welcome to Ruby Tuesday the day we show off our photos that contain some red.

My photos for this week's Ruby Tuesday were taken during our visit to Albuquerque, New Mexico. We planned our visit with the Old Salt's nieces and their families to coincide with Albuquerque's annual Balloon Fiesta. But, luck was on our side when we stumbled onto two other events we were unaware would be happening at that same time. One was a book signing by members of the World War ll Navajo Code Talkers.

The book is titled "It Had to be Done -- Navajo Code talkers Remember WWll" by Stephen Mack . The Navajo Code Talkers were several hundred Navajo Marine's who used their language to transmit military messages on enemy tactics, Japanese troop movements and other battlefield information in a code the Japanese never broke. Code Talkers took part in every assault the Marines conducted in the Pacific from 1942 to 1945, and are credited with saving thousands of lives.





The second event was Navy Week. Albuquerque's Navy Week was one of 21 Navy Weeks planned across America in 2009. Navy Weeks are designed to show Americans the investment they have made in their Navy and increase awareness in cities that do not have a significant Navy presence. We were able to catch the performance of the U.S. Navy Band Southwest "Destroyers," when they preformed at the Balloon Fiesta. This photo of one of the sailors in period costume getting his book autographed by a code talker turned up in one of the online Navy journals the Old Salt subscribes to.



For more things red, or to join the fun visit Ruby Tuesday at WORK Of THE POET

6 comments:

  1. Amazing group of people! Your post is a wonderful tribute to their efforts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh fantastic. I had seen a movie several years ago about this very subject. It was very good. And there was a Native American playing the correct parts...which is good if you ask me...you really don't know what Hollywood will do with a story like this.

    Excellent post!!!

    My Ruby Tuesday is big huge LIPS this morning...come by if you can?

    Click HERE

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a book signing I would have loved to have attended.
    What an outstanding group of men!
    Sunny :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I saw a movie about these guys...this is an absolutely WONDERFUL Ruby post...

    ReplyDelete
  5. When they talked in code
    enemies didn’t get it,
    freedom prevailed.

    My Ruby Tuesday

    ReplyDelete
  6. Excellent post about these code talkers! I think a movie was made about them... Great post for Ruby Tuesday! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by my site. Without your visits there would be no incentive to continue posting. So, having you here and reading your comments is the highlight of my day.

I regret that time does not always allow me to return visits to everyone who stops by, but, I will certainly do my best to get to everyone. I will definitely answer any questions you leave me.

Thanks for stopping by and have a great day.