Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Sisters in Red

Yesterday turned out to be one of those days that is full of surprises. A doctors appointment took the Old Salt and me into the city. Anytime we have to make that long trip we try to complete as many other errands as possible while we are there, it saves both gas money and travel time. First, the weather was beautiful so we had a lovely lunch at a sidewalk cafe. Then during a stop at the shopping mall we happen to meet two Nuns all dressed in red near the parking lot.


I am a life long Catholic, but, I do not recall ever seeing Nuns dressed in red before, so we stopped to talk with them. I learned that the Sisters were members of the Redemptoristine Order and part of a small group of Cloistered Nuns, who live a contemplative monastic life in the small town of Ligouri, Missouri. The red color of their habits represents the Blood of Christ and the medal of the Risen Redeemer represents Christ’s redeeming love.

The younger Nun was from the Phillippines. The Old Salt lived in the PI for six years in his early days in the navy, so he had a good time brushing up his rusty Tagalog during his conversation with her.

I took the following photo from the Sisters website.
You can learn more about the Red Nuns by visiting their website. Just click here.

I am linking this post to Ruby Tuesday and Rednesday.

Mary at "Work of the Poet" hosts Ruby Tuesday. Rednesday is a Wednesday meme hosted by Sue at "It's a Very Cherry World." Both memes are dedicated to the color red. To join the fun or just check out what Red others are excited to share visit Mary and her friends at Ruby Tuesdayand Sue and her friends fromRednesday

6 comments:

  1. Red is an unusually bright colour for a nun's habit - but it also makes sense.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I headed straight over here to see the picture...it caught my eye when I saw the Nun's dressed in red. I would have done the same thing as you if I had seen them, asking about the colour..Just beautiful.Thanks so much for sharing this and also for their website...Wonderful to 'meet' you and your 'old salt'..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, what good fortune for you both to have met them! You never know who, or what, you'll bump into! I'm reminded of the old story book, "And to think that I saw it on Mulberry Street"!

    ReplyDelete
  4. If they are a cloistered order, I'm surprised that they're allowed out!

    A TOUCH OF RED

    They say that just one touch of red
    Will put big, bold thoughts in your head.
    So scarlet’s for you,
    And burgundy too,
    And cardinal and carmine—‘nuff said!


    © 2011 by Magical Mystical Teacher

    Feast Rooted in Reds

    ReplyDelete
  5. What an interesting feature. I learned something new. I was not aware they every wore red. A very nice red showing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've never seen nuns dressed in red habits either, but I'm so glad that you stopped to chat with them, and found out the reason!
    Happy REDnesday!
    Carol

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by my site. Without your visits there would be no incentive to continue posting. So, having you here and reading your comments is the highlight of my day.

I regret that time does not always allow me to return visits to everyone who stops by, but, I will certainly do my best to get to everyone. I will definitely answer any questions you leave me.

Thanks for stopping by and have a great day.