Thursday, April 19, 2012

Century Farms



Throughout  the county where I live you will see signs like this one marking farms owned by the same family for 100 years or more.   This Century Farm is next door to the Catholic church in Villa Ridge, Mo. where my brother was the pastor for five years.

The state of Missouri began honoring the owners of Centennial Farms during the American Revolution Bicentennial year of 1976.  In that first ceremony 2,850 farm owners in 105 of our 114 counties were recognized.  This program has grown to an annual event with approximately 7500 farms recognized as of 2010.  120 of those farms are located in my county.  

To be considered for this select group of farm owners, the same family must have owned the farm for 100 consecutive years or more with the line of ownership documented from the original settler through bloodlines, marriage or adoption.  The present farm must contain at least 40 acres of the original land that still makes a financial contribution to the overall farm income.

Long-term owners of Missouri farms are proud of their family accomplishments, as well they should be, and consider it an honor to have this sign displayed on their farm.


Linking this post to Signs, Signs and Rural Thursday.

To join the fun or just check out the other participants click on the Badges below. 

7 comments:

  1. What a great idea! I know that it is difficult in this day and time to keep the farm going. I have a dear friend who struggles every day to keep his with all the repairs, and upkeep on fences, buildings, machinery, plus he still works a day job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh how I wish Nebraska would do the same thing -- what a great way to pay homage to these loyal farmers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love that it has been in the family so long - how excellent!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a lovely thing to do to honor those special families and their working farm.s I bet the list will become fewer in the years to come. As far as I know, we do not do this here in Virginia. So glad you are through with those treatments and that you are beginning to gradually feel like your old self. genie

    ReplyDelete
  5. When we bought our farm in Gasconade County, MO, two years ago, we broke the link that had existed since the late 1800's. Even though we can't claim a long-term connection to the place, we hope to honor the family who did by being good stewards of the land.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have seen a few 'century' signs around Ontario, but I'm not sure if that means the same family or just the farm (house).

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am still catching up on my visits!
    With all the changes in farming, it is indeed an accomplishment for one family to be still contributing 40% of their land towards farming.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by my site. Without your visits there would be no incentive to continue posting. So, having you here and reading your comments is the highlight of my day.

I regret that time does not always allow me to return visits to everyone who stops by, but, I will certainly do my best to get to everyone. I will definitely answer any questions you leave me.

Thanks for stopping by and have a great day.