Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Overlook


FDR's favorite picnic spot-- he even had the grill built.
Over at ABC Wednesday this week the featured letter is the letter "O."

If you have ever taken a road trip then you have surely pulled over at one of the many scenic overlooks dotting the country.  I know I have.  In fact, we never miss the opportunity to check out the vistas available at an overlook, and contemplate the journey of our forebears as they cross this same spot a century or more ago.   On a clear day you can see forever and sometimes get the thrill of seeing several states at once.

I have photos taken at dozens of overlooks.  One even had an ice cream stand across the street.  But, today, I want to share photos from one of our favorite overlooks.  One we keep returning to over the years as these photos will show. I have a cousin who lives on Pine Mountain in central Georgia.  She also works at "The Little White House" which was Franklin Roosevelt's vacation spot during his time as president.

FDR contracted polio in 1921, at age thirty-nine. When he heard about the therapeutic value of the thermal mineral baths at Warm Springs, Georgia, Roosevelt went there and bought a resort. He created a foundation to support a hydrotherapy treatment center.  He got his friend and New York law partner Basil O'Connor to run it. FDR hid his paralysis for most of his life and came to believe in the healing power of water to increase his use of his legs.
 
Frank and me sitting on FDR's Grill in the fall of 2008

Each time we visit my cousin we spend some time at "Overlook Loop" a beautiful ridge atop Pine Mountain inside the Franklin Delano Roosevelt State Park and near Callaway Gardens. The overlook is part of a 3.2 mile hiking trail through the park.  



FDR loved Pine Mountain and enjoyed this view of a Georgia mixed pine-oak-hickoy forest so much that he built this grill on his favorite vista where he had numerous picnics.
This photo of us was taken in the spring of 2007

I was visiting this spot long before I met the Old Salt so I was delighted to learn that FDR was one of his heros. Plus, his given name being Franklin was a good omen for me that he would fall in love with this spot as well.

There is something about sitting in a spot where a US president and countless other visitors to the Little White House have   picnicked that makes you want to learn more about our nations history.



Spring and Fall on Pine Mountain 



You can't tell it from this picture, but, at the edge of that pavement is a steep drop off.  So the first time The Old Salt climbed on top of that rock my heart fell into the pit of my stomach.  I am so afraid of heights that you will never see me near that edge.  

We have been back to this spot several times since these photos were taken.  We are a tad older and the hike from the parking area seems a bit longer but, I'm sure that as long as we can make the drive to visit with my cousins we will be visiting our favorite scenic Overlook and following the tradition of having our picture taken sitting on FDR's grill.   

I am linking this post to ABC Wednesday. 

Click the  badge to visit others or join the fun yourself. 

3 comments:

  1. Heights is not my cup of tea so I won't be able to stand in there (last picture) lol. I am now following your blog.

    Olympics
    Rose, ABC Wednesday Team

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love everything about this post, except for the fact that we've never been there. This is my favorite way to learn history -- as you say, you learn from being there and being there makes you want to learn more. I love that you loved this place before you met Frank and then that he did -- and of course I love that he has one of the same heroes that I do!!!! Thanks for this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love these shots.
    Also appreciate the general OPTIMISM of your site.
    ROG, Abc Wednesday team

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by my site. Without your visits there would be no incentive to continue posting. So, having you here and reading your comments is the highlight of my day.

I regret that time does not always allow me to return visits to everyone who stops by, but, I will certainly do my best to get to everyone. I will definitely answer any questions you leave me.

Thanks for stopping by and have a great day.