Wednesday, July 04, 2012

Not Verses Should Not

 
I photographed this sign in a window in Plattsmouth, Nebraska a few months ago.   As someone who has suffered with Fibromyalgia for over thirty years I disagree with the wording of this sign.  It should read   "Pain should not become a lifestyle."

I believe for many people pain effects all avenues of their life.  Chronic pain can become so encompassing that dealing with it does become a large part of a persons lifestyle.

I have no way of knowing if the following facts are actually true but I found one study that claims:


116 million people suffer from chronic pain every day.
   
Of those suffering from chronic pain:
                                      77% report feelings of depression
                                  84% report an inability to sleep well. 
74% report significant loss of energy and concentration


Pain is estimated to cost the US $635 Billion a year in healthcare expenses and lost productivity.



7 comments:

  1. I agree with you! It can control your whole life!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree as I am one of the 116 million!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am fortunate to be one of those who does not suffer from pain, but I know people who do, and I agree - it can control your life! I am always sorry that people have to deal with it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. oop, I fixed your link for you.

    as someone currently helping with another who is in a great deal of pain, I would agree with you and not this sign.

    ReplyDelete
  5. And it is impossible to get well when all your strength is going to fighting pain.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wonder if this was a sign to get you inside to buy some drugs to manage your pain.
    I agree that chronic pain can be terribly debilitating. and is often not taken seriously enough.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Having fibromyalgia must be so difficult, Rita! I don't have it, but I do have chronic fatigue syndrome (with a connection to some kind of auto-immune problem they can;t pinpoint) and osteoarthritis just about all over my body. It is rough just getting through the day sometimes, especially when there's a lot on my to-do list! I think the move out here really took its toll on me, and made me worse. I have a lot to be thankful for, though, as I know my health could be a LOT worse. I keep you in my prayers, Rita. We all need to lift each other up for the needs that we do have. God bless you....

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by my site. Without your visits there would be no incentive to continue posting. So, having you here and reading your comments is the highlight of my day.

I regret that time does not always allow me to return visits to everyone who stops by, but, I will certainly do my best to get to everyone. I will definitely answer any questions you leave me.

Thanks for stopping by and have a great day.