Thursday, May 24, 2012

Prayer of the woods

 A while back my brother and his family took a family trip to Louisville, Kentucky.  When they returned I was going through the photos my SIL had taken and discovered  these four banners (I'm going to consider them signs for todays post) and fell in love with the content.  With my SIL's permission I am posting them today to Lesley's meme on Signs. 

I believe these pictures were taken at the Louisville Zoo








What a wonderful reminder as to how much generations of homosapiens owe the humble yet so might tree.

 My research shows that this prayer/poem has been used in the Portuguese forest preservations for more than 1,000 years.


Prayer of the Woods
I am the heat of your hearth on the cold winter nights, 
the friendly shade screening you from the summer sun,
 and my fruits are refreshing draughts,
 quenching your thirst as you journey on. 


I am the beam that holds your house, 
the board of your table, 
the bed on which you lie,
 and the timber that builds your boat.


I am the handle of your hoe, 
the door of your homestead, 
the wood of your cradle,
 and the shell of your coffin.


I am the bread of kindness,
 and the flower of beauty. 
'Ye who pass by, listen to my prayer:
 Harm me not.
 



LInking to Signs, Signs




6 comments:

  1. These are lovely. A poetic reminder of the importance of protecting something so valuable.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How beautiful! And what a wonderful reminder of the value of the trees! This should be taught to every person on the planet! Thanks, Rita!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a gentle reminder. I bet it gets more people stopping to read these words than ones on a notice board with a list of instructions.

    ReplyDelete
  4. lovely reminder to be kind to and respectful of trees, and all nature

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love that Prayer!
    Recent wildfires -- and the devastation left behind -- are on my mind of late.
    This is definitely something I want share with friends and family.

    Hugs,
    Myra

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love this post and love the prayer! How sad that we forget how important trees are to us! This is such a lovely reminder!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by my site. Without your visits there would be no incentive to continue posting. So, having you here and reading your comments is the highlight of my day.

I regret that time does not always allow me to return visits to everyone who stops by, but, I will certainly do my best to get to everyone. I will definitely answer any questions you leave me.

Thanks for stopping by and have a great day.