Monday, February 28, 2011

Touches of Blue

It was truly a Blue Monday here in my little corner of the world. About one this morning we had some scary excitement when a severe storm came through our area. I have lived in this area all my life and this is the first time I felt threatened enough by the weather to actually follow that sound advice to seek shelter in the basement.

We had winds that reached seventy-five to one hundred mph and toppled trees, tore off roofs, downed power lines, and left the ground littered with roofing shingles, trash and branches. But, according to the six o'clock news, our town was among the lucky ones. Tornados and straight line winds caused more carnage in several neighboring towns and counties and thousands were still without power with many not expected to have power restored for another day or possibly two.

The St. Louis Tv stations actually came to our small town today to film coverage for the evening news. That seldom happens. I was shocked when a house that I pass everyday was part of the coverage. I took the following photo from the TV stations website.
According to the news account the owner was standing at the front door when this tree started to fall causing the door jam to hit him in the head. Fortunately, he was not seriously injured.

I had started my post for Blue Monday over the weekend but had not finished it before all of the above excitement happened. But, after seeing the blue house above on the ten o'clock news it not only reminded me but caused a rewrite of my post.

Now lets move on to the blue pictures that I intended to share this week.

Last summer we took some out of town guest sightseeing on the St. Louis Riverfront. I took this photo during a riverboat tour on the Mississippi River in front of the arch. The subjects were a Mother and her two daughters but it was the footwear that I found most interesting.

I snapped this shot of the rooftop swimming pools from the small windows at the top of the Gateway Arch.


I was driving by the local high school on day when I noticed these practice dummies sitting on the gravel parking area.

I am linking this post to Blue Monday hosted by Smiling Sally.

To check out all the other participants of Blue Monday click here.

1 comment:

  1. We sure are more observant of colors now, aren't we...lol...I'm glad no one was hurt in the storm. Loved all your blue choices.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by my site. Without your visits there would be no incentive to continue posting. So, having you here and reading your comments is the highlight of my day.

I regret that time does not always allow me to return visits to everyone who stops by, but, I will certainly do my best to get to everyone. I will definitely answer any questions you leave me.

Thanks for stopping by and have a great day.